Monday, October 25, 2021

Final Post

     "It would take the average American 40 minutes a day to read every private policy they encountered, at a cost of 5038 dollars a year in loss of productivity.  So why do companies make their policies so confusing and time consuming to read and interoperate? Companies are using "manipulative design tricks" to get consumers to spend more money than necessary or provide an amount of data that can be invasive. Companies then blame people for their own faults in privacy knowing they manipulated the situation from the beginning. To be honest when signing up for online accounts I never read the policies. I try to keep the information I input to a bare minimum but as far as I know Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tok, could do anything with the content I produce and I could not have a say on it even if I did not agree after the fact. Facebook is a big example of this with their tracking systems. In the article, " Our Collective Privacy Problem is not our Fault",  it mentioned social media companies being able to monitor peoples location whenever and whoever they wanted. A guy visiting a hospital every day in his wife final moments, a women picking up her child from school. Now why do these companies need to know where we are at all times? Companies like Facebook, Instagram, snapchat, Tik- Tok all uses a method of gathering data to compile things you like to put ads and request in-front of your face. It is to the point where social media companies can know your income, political party affiliation , the car you drive, and even the type of beer you drink. It even drove a man to leave his job at one of these data collecting agencies because he felt uncomfortable knowing so much about a person he never even met. A lot of users still are not informed on this and we can associate that to clear and concise privacy policies, education, and the lack there of. This system is only making big brand social media companies and there partnerships more and more money.  Keeping the user in a cycle of privacy breaches and social media addiction. 


2,820 Lost Money Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock

    When I first read the article of how the 14 year old girl went cold turkey on social media I thought she was over reacting.  I slightly still think she did but I have a better understanding on why. Her mother and sister had posted pictures and more of her without her consent or knowledge for the first 13 years of her life. She was embarrassed and almost angered by her mother and sister when she found out. Although all her friends had been on social media since the age of ten she found no need or gravitation towards it after she had experienced it for a couple of months in her life. After the listing the possible repercussions of what social media can bring I understood why a young women would not want to be apart of the ongoing phenomena. 

No Social Media - Wikipedia

    Personally my social media intake is not that bad. As I am a busy guy I usually do not have the time to just sit there and scroll on my phone. When signing up for accounts I put the bare minimum and keep at that. I only have three post on Instagram, like five on twitter, and zero on tik Tok. I simply use it as entertainment, updates, and a quick laugh. I do see how these platforms can cause depression. Where people only post the highlights of their life causing feelings of FOMO and like there not good enough, pretty enough, or rich enough. A lot of the post are fake being edited or set up to make it look like these people are living a life style they are not even living. Simply keeping up a fake image behind a screen. 


How to spot fake news in your social media feed



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final exam post

  My relationship with technology is very healthy. I do not use it too much and I do not use it too little. I give credit to my parents as t...